Saturday, September 15, 2012

Haste makes Waste

This morning we wanted to be packed and out of camp by 8. It's a lot more work then you would think to pack up an RV and hit the road. Anyways, we almost have it down to a science. Elijah puts away the toys. I (Dave) put up the jacks and move the Rv so we can pack up the blocks and get the mechanical stuff put away. We can do it in 15-20 minutes, which is super fast.



So I was super excited that we were making good time. We already made and ate breakfast, packed up our beds and we were right on time. I put up the front jack and move the RV off the blocks.



CRUNCH!!!!



The only problem was I forgot to put up the rear jacks! Dang it. The ultimate novice mistake.



I look under the back of the rig and the jacks are twisted and bent. Not to mention the fact that they were holding up the back 6" and now the weight of the rv is crushing them. I was so bummed.



Raegan asked what happened and when I told her she just smiled and said "haste makes waste". Though I was frustrated that I just broke my jacks that I only got to use three times, I had to laugh.
She was right.

So I was able to save one of the jacks, but it's gonna need some welding. And the other jack might be able to be saved, we'll see. Another 15 minutes and I had the mangled jack removed and the other one raised. I guess this is a lesson we had to learn the hard way.

Another start to a great day! Super excited to hike at the grand Teton mountain and then off to Yellowstone to meet friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment